Edmonton’s mayor might not be high on your celebrity radar, but who isn’t a little curious about the man behind the campaign? Don’t bother going to Google for all the remarkable details on Yeg city’s Mayor Don Iveson though, because we’re going to give you all the eyebrow-raising, head-nodding, and rolling-on-floor-laughing details about Yeg City’s Mayor Don Iveson. As it turns out, he’s surprisingly relatable.
- Mayor Don Iveson grew up in Parkallen in Edmonton, and despite having moved to Toronto for two years, he plans to live out the rest of his life in the city he was raised in.
- He was just 28 when he ran for a City of Edmonton council seat in 2007, and even he was surprised when he won it.
- We all know he’s tall, but how tall? As it turns out, he stands at a lofty 6’4”!
- He was a journalist, and for a while he was President and Chairman of the Canadian University Press, a student’s press co-operative.
- In 2014, a meme circulated featuring a picture of Yeg City’s Mayor Iveson, showing him looking very forlorn after learning that the province was not going to fund a new LRT line for Edmonton. People’s hearts were breaking for his sad face, and the hashtag #saddoniveson was pretty popular for a while.
- When he was a kid, he was pretty diverse in his activities; he liked sailing, debating, scouts, and literature.
- He studied political science at the University of Alberta.
- He’s a self-proclaimed Star Trek nerd, and he’s admitted that his first celebrity crush was on Marina Sirtis, who played Counselor Troi in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- When he ran for mayor in 2013, he won nearly 62% of the vote.
- He’s a family man, raising two children with his wife, Sarah Chan.
- He got married with his fly open, but he didn’t know until after, so it’s all good.
- His wife, Sarah Chan, is charmingly witty and original. Her meal of choice? Champagne and French fries!
- He likes green starbursts best (not red or pink?!)
- He’s the 35th mayor of Edmonton.
Who knew there was so much to know about our mayor?
If you want to get acquainted with Mayor Don Iveson on a more serious level, follow his blog. You can learn a lot about someone from their blog, and his paints a picture of someone who actually cares about the decisions being made, and who can back them up with sound logic (a logical politician? Who knew?!)
The Edmonton Elections are scheduled for Monday, October 16th. As of two days ago, Mayor Iveson faces at least 9 challengers in the elections. Who are you planning on voting for?
Don Iveson Social Media Channels: